Ultimate List of Miami Film Permits + Production Regulations In 25 Towns and Cities

Are you a filmmaker or producer shooting in Miami?

Then you're going to need a location scout or service to find that perfect set.

While Set Scouter is here to help find spaces faster, it takes more than a beautiful location to be production ready... you may need to file for a film permit!

Miami-Dade is the largest county in the US with 34 municipalities, such as City of Miami and Miami Beach, so it’s no wonder finding permit rules for each region can be a complicated nightmare.

But don’t worry! We’ve done the research for you and put together a comprehensive list with everything you might need to know about filming in Miami!


Miami-Dade County

Film Permits in Miami-Dade County

When do you need a FILM PERMIT?

You will need a film permit in Miami if you’re creating a commercial film or photoshoot on public property. Some municipalities require permits on residential or private property as well. This means that if you plan to film at a house, and don’t interrupt the neighbors, you may still need a permit depending on where you are.

With 34 municipalities, we’ve covered the most popular cities to film in. The majority of these municipalities can be permitted through one site – that’s FilMiami. We’ll go over that with you too, but we’ve also made sure to cover towns and cities that didn’t make it on that list.

Keep in mind…. If you’re filming on public property, such as parks, beaches, or streets, you will definitely need a permit. And chances are, if you’re filming on private property, you won’t need a permit.

Where do you go to get film permits?

If you go to the FilMiami website, you can complete an online permitting application for all of your media needs for Miami-Dade County property or services (such as the police or fire department), as well as 16 of the municipalities.

FilMiami header

Which Municipalities does FilMiami cover?

Here are all of the municipalities that FilMiami permits for. If you’re filming in one of these municipalities, you can apply here for the online application. Continue to the next section for more details about FilMiami’s permit process!

Which Municipalities permit themselves?

Here are all of the municipalities that permit themselves. While this may seem like a lot of work, we’ve made it simple for you and have the “how-to” for every municipality on this list. Follow any of the quick links below for the step-by-step process to get your film permit in Miami! (if you're not on the list above covered by FilMiami).

How much do permits cost?

Film permits cost $100 for every 28 production days for permits through FilMiami. That fee is non-refundable! Municipalities that permit themselves each have their own prices.

While most municipalities don’t require a permit on private property, here are popular exceptions to look out for:

City of Miami Beach: If you plan to only film in the City of Miami Beach, and do not need any Miami-Dade County services, you can apply for your film permit through the Miami Beach Film Office for free. You will need a permit for filming on any private property, as well as public property.

City of Miami: If you’re only filming within the City of Miami, you can apply for your film permit through the City of Miami Film Office, also with no charge! Permits are needed for private property, along with written approval by the neighbors on either side of the production location and submitted to the Film Department before the shoot.

Coral Gables: Filming in a residential area of Coral Gables? Then you’ll need a permit from the City Manager’s Office (with the owner’s written approval).


If you’re unsure about your municipality, or have additional questions, you can contact the Miami-Dade Office of Film & Entertainment at 305-375-3288. You can also go to FilMiami.org.

We also recommend the help of a Miami film commission rep. Dorothea Belz handles permits, and will lead you in the right direction if it's not her municipality.
Dorothea Belz: dbelz@miamidade.gov





Miami Beach, Courtesy of Walldevil

Film Permits through FilMiami

Film Permits for Municipalities under FilMiami

If you’re filming in any of the municipalities below, apply here and follow the steps for the online application! Keep in mind, each municipality will still require a specified insurance certificate! This just means that your insurance must be made out to that city or town by name.
Tip: Do not use the back button or enter key while applying, and there is a 40 minute session timeout!

  1. City of Miami Beach
  2. Town of Cutler Bay
  3. City of Doral
  4. Village of El Portal
  5. City of Florida City*
  6. City of Hialeah
  7. City of Hialeah Gardens
  8. Town of Medley
  9. City of Miami Gardens
  10. Town of Miami Lakes
  11. City of Miami Springs*
  12. City of North Miami Beach
  13. Village of Palmetto Bay
  14. City of South Miami*
  15. City of Sunny Isles Beach*
  16. Village of Virginia Gardens
*additional forms or fees may apply and will be outlined in the application!

Completing the online application is very straightforward - you click “Apply now” for their one-stop permit application, and fill in the required fields. Keep in mind, before entering the online application FilMiami is going to require 3 things:

  1. 24hr notice for the permits
  2. Certificate of insurance (insuring the county and/or municipality for $1 million)
  3. Specific information on locations including dates, times, budget, and any other special arrangements

For any further questions, contact the Miami-Dade Office of Film & Entertainment at 305-375-3288. You can also go to FilMiami.org!

We also recommend the help of a Miami film commission rep. Dorothea Belz handles permits, and will lead you in the right direction if it's not her municipality.
Dorothea Belz: dbelz@miamidade.gov





Miami South Beach

Miami South Beach, Courtesy of Anglers Hotel Miami

Film Permits in City of Miami Beach

Film permits are necessary for all film, video, photography and other media projects on public property, residential locations, when city services are required, or when productions may impact traffic/residents/city services.

Before we get started, let’s make sure you’re only filming in the City of Miami Beach. This municipality is within the Miami-Dade County, and includes everywhere from Fisher Island up to North Beach.

Just as important, make sure to confirm if your production plans on using any services of the Miami-Dade County. This includes services such as the police and fire department, county roads, and more. If you’re not using these services to film, then you also won’t need any county-wide permits

If you plan on filming anywhere outside of the boundaries, or using any Miami-Dade services, use the Filmiami.org One-Stop Permit. They charge a $100 permit application fee that is non-refundable.

Now that we’ve established that you’re filming only in the City of Miami Beach, we can begin!

In order to receive a permit, you need 3 things:

  1. Indemnity Agreement: By signing this agreement, your company will be held accountable for any damage done within Miami Beach as a result of the production. This includes anything from lawsuits to property damage on any property within the city. It must be signed by the legally authorized member of your group, and submitted to the Office of Film and Print. As well, it must carry a corporate seal or be notarized. You can fax the agreement to the office for your first permit, but an original is needed for all permit applications after.
  2. Certificate of General Liability Insurance: In other words, your production needs to be insured for a minimum of one million dollars. This depends on your equipment, size of crew, and more. Some productions are insured for more than that, but unless you have an elaborate Hollywood production, chances are $1 million will be enough! You have to name the certificate holder as “City of Miami Beach” with the address, 1700 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139.
  3. Apply! There is no application fee for the City of Miami Beach Film and Print Permit Online.



Miami Beach. Courtesy of University of Miami.

Miami Beach, Courtesy of University of Miami

Different Types of Film Permits in City of Miami Beach

City-Wide Permits:

You’ll notice as you go through the online application that there are several different permit types. One of those types is called City-Wide. With this permit, you will not require an officer escort (with some exceptions granted by the Office of Film and Print). City-wide permits allow for a small team of about 10 people or less on public property that don’t need rental fees, block traffic, or impact private businesses without their consent. You can only have minimal equipment, including a camera, tripod, reflectors, and battery powered lights. A City-Wide permit does not include special parking permits, use of public residential areas, or driving/aerial shots.

Vehicle Beach Access:

Do you need to park directly on the beach sand? You can purchase a Vehicle Beach Access Pass (VBAP) for each vehicle. Each pass (per day) is $150 unless the vehicles do not move during use. Also, the first pass per day is free. Police must escort all active vehicles at all times. For other parking rules and permit information for the City Miami Beach continue here.

Residential Filming Guidelines:

Even if your production is small and does not leave a resident’s property, you still need a Film and Print permit. Filming without a permit can lead to charges for homeowners and the production company. For all of the guidelines to film in residential areas, continue reading below.

Special Event Permits:

Does your production involve the public? A Special Event permit may be needed. The application guidelines are here.




Permit Guidelines for Residential Filming in City of Miami Beach

All productions using residential areas must have a Film and Print permit. Even if your film is self-contained in a Miami Beach home, you’ll still need a permit to avoid any fines or having to shut down your production.

Here is everything you’ll need to know if you plan on filming in one of the beautiful Miami beach homes!

Filming on residential/private property:

If you’re filming in a residential home and do not require any public property, you will still need to follow the three steps listed here and obtain a filming permit.


To begin, your permit request must be received by the office five working days before the start of your production. All permits are reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis, so it’s best to apply as soon as possible! This way, you have time to deal with any complications and you can secure you can film the days you planned. All you have to do is fill out this Online Application.


In addition, you must send out a Filming Notification Form to all neighbors within 500ft. Filming is only permitted from 7am to 10pm, and during holidays 8am to 10pm. Outside of those hours, written agreement is needed by the homeowner and included in the notification form for the neighbors. These signatures from homeowners need to be collected and then submitted to the Film & Print Office.


An Affidavit Form is needed by the homeowner of the locations you’re filming on to confirm that the filming is permitted.


Chances are, you’ll need some sort of parking for your production. All vehicles must stay on the private property. Additional parking space requires spot rentals which can be applied for here. Last but not least, NO street parking is allowed.

Police Escorts:

Does your production need a police escort? If you’re filming in a residential home, chances are you don’t. This means that through your permit application you would have been labeled a “Low Impact Residential Production”. This means you have a small team of twelve people or less with minimal equipment (must be easily and quickly transported). The equipment you’re allowed includes camera, tripod, reflectors and battery operated lights. Generators or grip equipment are not allowed. As well, you can not park a production motorhome or large trucks (any commercial class vehicles) on the residential street. While there is no permit application fee, there is a fee for the office escort which is determined by the officer’s ranking, the length of the production, and when it’s filmed. After your application goes through you will be put in contact with the off-duty police officers. The Film & Print @ City of Miami Beach off-duty line is 305-673-7823 – however do not call them unless details of your production have been solidified.


Just in case you planned on bringing your pet with you to set, pets are not allowed on location unless they are needed for the production and noted by the Film & Print Officer on the permit.

For more details on residential filming rules, refer to the Filming Guidelines!

Here are the links to all of the forms you may need while applying: http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/tcd/filmprint/scroll.aspx?id=29810




Miami Beach Welcome

Production Parking Permit Guidelines in City of Miami Beach

Filming on Public Property:

The City of Miami Beach is a state hotspot, and that often makes finding public parking a challenge. Do you need on-street meter rentals or parking spaces in city lots or garages in public space? If yes, then you must arrange that with the City Parking Department and the Office of Film & Print. Keep in mind, because of the high demand, the Parking Department will only rent parking meters for vehicles essential to the production. Public parking needs can be determined through your Film Application Process. While Ocean Drive is an iconic film location, you can not park your car along that street.

Filming on Private Property:

If you’re filming on private property or residential areas, it’s pretty simple: all vehicles must stay on the private property or arrange legal parking nearby. These productions will only be granted permits for parking close to the location, and only for essential equipment. Additional parking space requires spot rentals which can be applied for here.

If your parking request will have a direct impact on a resident or homeowner, a letter of no objection (basically a letter stating they agree to your production vehicle parking in that spot) may be needed. The Film & Print Office will determine if that letter or a notification is needed for the meter rentals.

Some more rules for residential parking from City of Miami Beach Film & Print Office…

Whoever said you should always arrive early was not considering Miami Beach parking permits. You can not enter the neighborhood before the start time of your permit. While this may seem strict – the best way to avoid any issues is to simply book your parking permit to start earlier (and end later) than originally intended.

Tip: Often it is cheaper and easier to shuttle cast and crew to the set.

You are not allowed to park private cast and crew vehicles on public streets unless you have a lane or road permit.

Street/Lane Closure Permits:

Do you need a street closure? Then you’ll need a Street or Lane permit before you will be accepted for a Film permit. You can gain this permit from the Police Off-Duty Office, which is convenient because you will also need an Off-Duty Officer on site. This permit requires the signature of the Chief of Police, Director of Public Works, and the City Manager. To be on the safe side, apply for this permit 2 weeks before the first production date. You have to include a Management of Traffic (MOT) plan from a Florida Department of Traffic (FDOT) licensed traffic management company.

The next step to gaining this permit, is acquiring a signed letter of no objection by at least 80% of the directly affected properties within the closure. Based on where the intended street closure is, the Office of Film & Print will decide who needs to be notified. Even with the road closure permit, all of the meters within it must still be reserved through the Miami Beach Parking Department.

Now you have your permit…

All vehicles on locations must keep a copy of the approved Film and Print permit on your dashboard. It must identify the production company and project name. Keep in mind, some areas in Miami Beach have restricted residential parking only Monday through Friday 6:00 p.m. through 7:00 a.m., and 24 hours Saturday and Sunday. Productions in these areas must make arrangements with the Police and Parking Departments to demarcate and secure the necessary sites.

If a film crew attempts to film without the proper parking permits, they can be charged $1000 and the production is shut down. It may seem tough, but that’s why we’re here to help you get your permit!

Vehicle Beach Access:

Do you need to park directly on the beach sand? You’ll need to apply for a separate type of permit called a Vehicle Beach Access Pass (VBAP), which will be an option when going through the online application.

Additional questions can be directed to Miami Beach below, or click here to see more film and print contacts.

Contact Miami Beach Film & Print Office below:
Film Line: 305-673-7070
Main Line: 305-673-7577
General Inquiries: film@miamibeachfl.gov





Miami Tours Picture

Film Permits in City of Miami

If you’re looking to film within the City of Miami you’ll have to think about permits. Luckily there is no film permit fee! (unless you happen to be filming with a drone – in which case there is a $100 application fee). Depending on your application, you may have to pay a fee if you need a specific city service such as the Fire or Police department.

To make sure you’re filming in the City of Miami, you can check out their City of Miami Zoning Map here!

The City of Miami Florida

How do you obtain a permit to film?

Apply! You can fill out City of Miami’s Online Application here. The steps are simple and it’s all online, but these are the three aspects you will be completing:

  1. The Film Permit (of course)
  2. City Services Permits (only if your film needs a city service such as a road closure. Scroll below to check out all city services!)
  3. General Liability Insurance Certificate (your production must be insured for at least $2 million dollars!). Don’t forget to name the City of Miami as additionally insured. The wording is as follows:

    City of Miami 444 SW 2nd Ave Miami,
    FL 33130 305.416.1323
    305.859.2128 FAX

Once completed, you may click “submit” so send the application, or email it to filmoffice@miamigov.com. You can also email them for any additional questions.

Are you filming in a residential neighborhood?

The City of Miami Film Notification Form can be used to give a notice to any of your neighbors.

There are many city services available to you, below are the headings (as seen on the official City of Miami Website) with links to the form you’ll need!

    1. Application for Temporary Officer
    2. Street Closure Permit Application
    3. Miami Police Department Sign Off Sheet
    1. Lot Facility Rental Procedure
    2. Meter Rental
    1. Assembly Permit Application
    2. Explosion Permit Application
    3. Fireworks Permit Application
    1. Parks & Recreation Fees
    1. City of Miami Neighborhood Associations
    1. Filming Photography Authorization (additional fees will apply!)

Would you like to know what films are currently in production? This online calendar has the current film productions listed, and location details when clicked so you can plan ahead!

Last but not least, if you have any other questions, here is a list of common questions by the City of Miami: Filming in City of Miami FAQ.





intersection at Coral Way (Miracle Mile) and Ponce de Leon Boulevard

Film Permits in Coral Gables

Are you a Miami filmmaker looking to take advantage of the beautiful homes and scenery of Coral Gables? Then you’re definitely going to need film permits. Coral Gables has strict policies, especially in residential areas. Not to worry, you can still acquire all of the permits you need. However, unlike most municipalities, you won’t be able to get those permits from FilMiami. This blog will tell you everything you need to know and how to apply for all of your film permit needs!

Filming on public property:

Yes, you will need a Film & Photography Permit from the City Manager’s Office in order to film on any public property of Coral Gables, such as parks or public pools.

Coral Gables Set Scouter

Selma's Mansion On The Water in Coral Gables

Filming on private property (residential neighborhoods):

Yes, you will need a permit for filming and photography! No commercial photography can be conducted in residential areas without a permit from the City Manager’s Office, and only with the homeowner’s written approval. For additional restrictions and rules on filming in neighborhoods, continue to our blog Coral Gables: Guidelines for Residential Filming

How to apply:

You must fill out the application for which can be downloaded here: Film & Photography Permit. This application will outline the details of your production, such as the location and classification of the production (commercial, documentary, student project etc.). Don’t forget, along with this application, you need to attach a map or picture of your location or site for clear identification. By signing this document, you are also signing their Indemnity Agreement. All this means, is that you and your company would be held responsible for any damage that occurs within Coral Gables as a direct result of your production. This includes anything from lawsuits to property damage. It also defends any Coral Gables officers or affiliates from expenses due to your production such as personal injuries. Long story short, keep your production safe and respectful to the city and you’ll be a happy filmmaker!

Police Officer Escort:

If you need an office on set, here is a link to the costs and the permit application! Off-Regular-Duty Police Fee Schedule & Permit Application

Day Cancellations

If you need to cancel any permitted days for reasons beyond control, such as bad weather, then your permit can extend by the same number of canceled days.

How much will a film permit cost?

Here is the current pricing straight from City of Coral Gables website!

Keep in mind… Major Motion Pictures or TV programs are only allowed three permits a year for the same property, and only one permit can be granted every 30 days. As well, that permit is valid for a maximum of 14 consecutive days, and will not be valid for more than 28 days in total per year for the same property.



Monica's Coral Gables home

Monica's Modern Miami Home in Coral Gables

Guidelines for Residential Filming in Coral Gables

Rules on commercial filming in residential areas:

Are you filming in a Coral Gables residential area? Then you’ll want to know the rules on commercial filming in Coral Gables homes and neighborhoods. While we outlined how to apply for a film permit above, there are still precautions you need to take and rules to look out for so that your production can run as smooth as possible!

Filming is allowed on private residential neighborhoods that are in zones R, D, or A following these rules:

You need a permit from the City Manager’s Office. As well, you need written approval from the owner of that location.

You do not need a permit when shooting any photography (commercial or not) within a residential home.

Some other rules to keep in mind…

  • You can receive a maximum of 12 day permits for commercial productions, with a maximum of 3 days filming in a row, for the same property in a single year.
  • Major motion pictures or television programs can only have 3 permits for each year on the same property, and only once every in a 30-day period.
  • Each permit shall be issued for a maximum of fourteen (14) consecutive days, with a maximum of twenty-eight (28) permitted days allowed per year for the same property.

Any Questions?

For filming questions, contact Norma-Milena Gavarrete at (305)-460-5607, or by email at ngavarrete@coralgables.com. We've found her tricky to get a hold of, but you can check out the official Coral Gables website and contact the main office as well!




Key Biscayne Light House

Key Biscayne Beach, Courtesy of Smart Condo Management

Film Permits in Key Biscayne

Are you looking to film in Key Biscayne? Well you may need a permit, and that permit must come from the municipality – not the Miami-Dade County. A film permit is required for all filming activity, (commercial or noncommercial), in public locations. The Village Manager’s Office coordinates all permits and filming locations for the Village of Key Biscayne. This includes parks, beaches, roadways, and Village facilities.

Before You Apply:

Online, there is an official list of provisions to be reviewed. These provisions pretty much go over what you might expect: no filming without a permit, your permit must be available on set, and that the permit applies to all land within the municipality’s boundaries.

However, there are some less obvious points to look out for. While it does not say you need a separate parking permit, it does require you to include a parking plan for automobiles, trucks and other vehicles connected with the filming, along with a site plan of the location.

According to the Key Biscayne’s official site, you have to set up a meeting with the Village Manager (John Gilbert) five working days before filming. However, don’t stress! This meeting can simply be made over the phone with the executive assistant Jennifer Medina instead, and she is able to pass on any relevant information. This phone call ensures that your film process is on the right track and can run smoothly. To reach Jennifer, call (305) 365-8919.

Key Biscayne

Key Biscayne, Courtesy of the Town of Key Biscayne

The Application:

The Film Permit Fee is $100.00, and the check should be made payable to “The Village of Key Biscayne”. The Film Permit Application should be submitted to the Village Manager’s Office – this can be done online or in the mail. In certain circumstances, a Special Event Application may be needed for the filming permit if the production is very long or disruptive – however this can be determined during the phone call meeting with Jennifer.


As with most places, anyone applying for a permit needs to provide evidence of public liability insurance for a minimum of $1,000,000.00. The site says all insurance policies have to name the Village of Key Biscayne as additionally insured.

Damage Security:

A $5,000 cash bond needs to be held by the Village of Key Biscayne to be used for repairs just in case there is any damage to public property.

Some other rules to keep in mind…

  • You can only receive a permit for the same location twice a year
  • Filming is only allowed 3 days in a row, or a total of 6 days for the whole year
  • Filming is not allowed between 11pm and 7am
  • Other limitations may be specified during the meeting with the Village Manager (aka the phone call with his assistant (Jennifer Medina) depending on the location and type of filming. For example, you may need an off-duty police officer to be present during filming.





Bay Harbor Islands

Film Permits in Town of Bay Harbor Islands

Do you need a permit to film

Yes! If you’re a Miami scout looking for a location to film in, you’re going to need a permit for any commercial film or photography.

What do you need to apply?

The Bay Harbor Islands Office provides you with the application form, but we've made it accessible below. It asks you everything you would expect, including where you’re filming, for how long, the size of the production crew, street closure requests, and more. Aside from the production details, the application calls for two important documents:

  1. A certificate of insurance covering at least $1,000,000 naming the town as additionally insured.
  2. Proof written consent from the property owner allowing the production. If you are the producer as well as homeowner, you may have to show proof!

On that note… If you are filming on your own property, you don’t necessarily need a permit! This applies when you’re only filming at your place with a film crew of 2 people or less, and all of the production equipment and vehicles are also on your property during filming.

How much does it cost to film?

It will cost you $200.00 every day for a film with the crew under 11 people, $300.00 with a production company of 11 – 20 members, and $500/day if your crew has over 20 people. However, there is no application fee itself!

How do you apply?

You may notice that the Town of Bay Harbor Islands permit application is not online, however we have it here: Bay of Harbor Islands Permit Application

To submit the full application you can send it by mail, or scan and email it to Bridget Morin at bmorin@bayharborislands.net.

Tip… Apply at least 1 week before you want to film to give the town office enough time to approve your application, and give you enough time to notify your neighbors! The Assistant Town Manager J.C Jimenez, or his assistant Bridget Morin will have time to help you with parking. For example, larger productions such as “Dexter”, “CSI: Miami”, and “Ballers” all needed parking lots added to their parking plan.

Some permit rules!

  1. You can only film from 8am to 6pm (unless the town manager gave you written approval otherwise)
  2. The production company is responsible for any damages
  3. Try to be quiet, because there is a noise limit so that you don’t disrupt the neighborhood!
  4. Two days (or 48hrs) before you start filming a written notice must be given to anyone that owns property within 375 feet from the production property.
  5. If the Town Manager thinks it’s necessary, you will need to hire help from the police or fire department.
  6. For additional information, their revised film ordinance can be read here!

Try not to break any rules, because it will send your film production budget if you do it’s a $500.00 fee every day that you break the rule!

City Office’s contact information:

9665 Bay Harbor Terrace
Bay Harbor Islands, Florida 33154
Phone: (305)-866-6241
Fax: (305)-866-4863

When you call for any questions ask for Bridget Morin! She handles all film permit applications and can help make sure you’re not missing anything. The Assistant Town Manager JC Jimenez will have the final say to sign off on your film permit. Make sure you call between 9am and 5pm Mon-Fri to reach the Town Hall. After hours this number will transfer you to the police department.




Courtesy for Nela

Veronique's Heaven On The Water in Miami Shores

Film Permits in Miami Shores Village

When do you need a film permit?

If you plan on filming or shooting photography for commercial television, film, music videos, or advertising you will need (what they refer to as) a village license!

What do you need to apply?

1) Insurance: Your production company needs insurance from an insurance company licensed in Florida covering $1,000,000, and naming Miami Shores Village as an additional insured party!

2) Permission: You need written permission from the property owner saying they authorize filming on their property.

3) The Application: You can download the application here!

Time to apply!

It’s what you’ve been waiting for – now that you have your insurance and written permission, you bring these forms with the application to the Miami Shores Village Hall at 10050 NE 2nd Ave. You can also reach them by calling (305) -795-2207.

How much does it cost?

The film license costs $200.00 per day, or $100.00 per day for photography. Keep in mind, your permit fees will be doubled if you film without a permit! However, there is no fee for the application itself.

License rules:

1) Your license is only good for up to three days in a row
2) You can not film on Saturday, Sunday, or holidays
3) You can only film from 7am until one hour after sunset
4) The license for a single location will only be granted four time a year! However, you can have 8 extra shoot days if you have a small crew (under 10 people) and 3 trucks or less.

For any additional questions…

You can contact the Village Clerk Barbara!

Barbara A. Estep, MMC
Village Clerk
Miami Shores Village
E-mail: estepb@miamishoresvillage.com
(305) 762-4851





North Bay Village

North Bay Village sign, Courtesy of Wikipedia

Film Permits in North Bay Village

When do you need a film permit?

If you’re planning to film in North Bay Village for commercial use, you’re going to need a film permit from the City Manager himself! Don’t forget, keep your permit on display at all times while filming!

You do not need a permit for family videotaping, for news purposes, motion picture studios, and certain government agencies. A very important detail… you need a permit for any days that you plan on being on set for that can include pre and post-production.

What do you need to apply?

1) Film Permit Form: You can receive a copy of the application from Leilani Calzadilla, the Building & Zoning Clerk. Her contact information is below! The application must identify the dates and times that you are requesting for your Miami film production, including setup and takedown!

2) Location Permission: While this may seem obvious, North Bay Village needs the location owner’s sworn consent to film along with the proof of ownership! If you're wondering what 'sworn' means, it's a fancy way to ask for proof that the person signing is the true homeowner. If you are filming on your own personal property you still need proof of ownership. In the words of North Bay Village, “If the owner is an entity, please provide a copy of the articles of incorporation that states who the registered agents are that are authorized to sign on behalf of the company, along with a copy of the identification of the person who signed”.

3) Insurance: Your Miami film production is going to need public liability insurance for at least $100,000.00! This is standard for film production, and must name North Bay Village as additionally insured.

What’s going into your Permit?

Along with the permit form, location permission, and proof of insurance. Here is some additional information you’re going to want to have ready when applying:

1) Site Plan: To film, you’re going to need some form of a site plan. This is just a layout design for the whole area that you plan on filming in.

2) Parking Plan: Where do you plan on parking during your production? As a filmmaker, chances are you’re going to have a lot of equipment, and a few vehicles to go along with it. If you plan on needing parking space, check out the Parking Rules and Regulations first to avoid any tickets!

3) Cash Bond: Once your permit application has been looked over, the City Manager may ask for a cash bond in case of any public damage – however chances are this won’t be necessary. With a responsible crew you’ll have nothing to worry about!

4) Filming Notice: Don’t forget to let your neighbors know you’re filming! 48hrs before filming, you must notice all neighbors within 300 feet, and make sure to tell them where, when, and the topic of the film.

How much will the permit cost?

Your permit fee costs $200.00 per day, which will be payable when you are applying for your permit! There is also an application fee which is $125.00 upfront, however this amount will be deducted from your permit cost of $200/day once your application is approved. You can pay by check or cash attached to the applications, or make a credit card payment over the phone.

How do you apply?

Leilani Calzadilla is your point of contact in acquiring your film permit. She does require all original signatures, so the application must be mailed or delivered in person to the office, directed towards the building department. Their address is as follows:

Leilani Calzadilla
Building & Zoning Clerk
North Bay Village
1666 Kennedy Causeway, 3rd Floor
North Bay Village, Florida 3314

As she told us, “Upon receipt of the above, we can begin the application process. The application will be reviewed by the police department and the village manager. Once approved I will call to advise the permit is ready for pick up”.

What time of the day can you film?

No filming is allowed between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am, but other than that you’re in the clear!

If you break the rules above… (which I’m sure you won’t!), you may be charged a $500 fee! Some of the rules can be bent as well with permission from the City Commission or City Manager!

Additional Questions?

You can contact Leilani Calzadilla! Her contact information is below:
Leilani Calzadilla
Building & Zoning Clerk





City of Aventura

City of Aventura Sign, Courtesy of Miami Condo Expert.

Film Permits in City of Aventura

When do you need a film permit?

If you plan on filming on public property you’re going to need a film permit!

How much does the permit cost?

The permit fee is $100 paid to the “City of Aventura”.

What do you need in the application?

1) Certificate of Liability Insurance: This certificate must cover at least $1,000,000.00. This is the standard amount for all film productions in Miami, but don’t forget to list the City of Aventura as additional insured!

2) Parking Plan: A parking plan must be included with your permit application. This must outline where all of your film-related vehicles will be parked during filming.

3) Site Plan: A site plan describes the set-up for your film. Chances are, you’re already going to have location drawings from your film’s paperwork, which would work perfectly!

When can you film?

Filming is allowed between 7am and 11pm.

Be nice to your neighbors… Don’t forget to let any property owners in the surrounding area of your production know about your film (within 300 feet)! This includes what you might expect – the location, date, time, and nature of your film.

This one’s a maybe… Depending on how large your production is and other risk factors, the City Manager may require you to post a $5,000 cash bond for the city in case of any damages!

The City Manager may also request your production use a city service such as the fire or police department for safety purposes, but will be determined with your application.

How to Apply?

1) Fill out the application that you can download here!
2) Email the application to Anna Thealle at the City Office at alonsoa@cityofaventura.com. Don’t forgetto include the $100.00 payment by cash or check!

If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact the Office of the City Manager and ask to speak to Anna at (305)-466-8910!

For additional questions…
Here is the office’s full contact information below if needed:
Anna Thealle
City of Aventura
19200 W Country Club Dr.
Aventura, Florida 33180
Office of the City Manager




Pine Chris and Chris Pratt.

Village of Pinecrest welcome sign, Courtesy of Carlos Del Amo.

Film Permits in Village of Pinecrest

Do you need a film permit?

If you plan on filming anywhere in the Village of Pinecrest, you’re going to need a film permit! If you are filming for journalism or the news you do not need a permit.

How do you apply?

The Village of Pinecrest has its application conveniently online! This printable application can be filled out and scanned, or downloaded and typed, and sent the Office of the Village Manager. You can reach the village manager, Yocelyn Galiano, at (305) 234-2121. The full address is as follows! Or e-mail her at ygaliano@pinecrest-fl.gov.

12645 Pinecrest Parkway
Pinecrest, Florida 33156
(305)-234-2131 (Fax)

The application also has all of the filming and permit rules within its details, but below we’ve answered the most common questions! Don’t forget, you must apply at least two full business days before you begin filming!

How much will it cost?

The permit for still photography costs $100 per day, and a filming permit will cost $300 with a crew under 30 people. If your total crew totals between 30 and 60 people it will cost $400 per day, and anything larger than that will be $500!

What do you need for the permit application?

  1. Insurance
    Every production company is going to need a valid certificate of insurance, also known as a General certificate of Liability for at least $1,000,000! Like all Miami-Dade municipalities, don’t forget to list the Village of Pinecrest as an additional insured.
  2. Indemnity Agreement
    This can be included as a clause in the insurance, meaning that your production company will be held responsible for any damages.
  3. Security Deposit
    This is only a maybe! After your application has been looked over, the Village Manager will decide if the city needs a security deposit while filming.

Don’t forget to sort out your parking plan! This pretty much means that all your production vehicles must have a planned legal place to park. For details read section 11 in the code of ordinance!

When can you film?

You’re free to film between 7am and 11pm on weekdays, and 9am to 11pm on Saturday, Sunday, and legal holidays. If you want to film outside of these hours not to worry! All you need is signed permission from any property owners or people that your filming will affect and include it with your permit application!

Additional questions…

Feel free to contact the Village Manager!
Office of the Village Manager
12645 Pinecrest Parkway Pinecrest,
Florida 33156
(305) 234-2121




Surfside Sign

Surfside Sign, Courtesy of Town of Surfside

Film Permits in Town of Surfside

When do you need a film permit?

If you’re filming in Surfside on public property, private property, or requiring any town services (such as the police or fire department), you’re going to need a film permit! This includes productions for film, TV, or other video or photography projects. However, if you are filming as a student or a professional journalist for the news, you do not need a permit. It’s very important to know that you can not film in residential areas. You are only able to film in municipal areas such as parks and tennis courts, or in the business district, such as along Harding Ave.

How do you obtain your permit?

Apply! You’re going to need to apply for your permit, upon application the Town Manager will determine if your production requires any city service.

  1. Download and complete Town of Surfside Film Permit Application here!
  2. Email the completed application to Alan Graham at agraham@townofsurfsidefl.gov.

What goes in the Application?

  1. Proof of Insurance
    Your film company is going to need proof of insurance to cover your production, also known as a Certificate of General Liability for at least $1,000,000.
  2. Indemnity Agreement
    This means you agree to take responsibility for any damages due to your production, usually within the Certificate of General Liability. The Town Manager may ask for a cash bond or deposit to hold during production for the city just in case of damages to the city (depending on the nature of the production).
  3. Notifications
    You’ll need to notify the neighbors – meaning, you must distribute notification forms Code of conduct. The town code of conduct for film and print productions shall be distributed with all notification and/or signature forms. Copies are available in the office of arts, culture and entertainment.
  4. Parking Plan
    You’re going to need to sort out your parking before hand, with approval from the police department and the Town Manager. Production vehicles must simply follow the rules of the road and park in legal areas!

When can you film?

In general, you are allowed to film during the day between 7:00 am until 11:00 pm to avoid any noise complaints - assuming you have been granted permission to film!

What about noise?

You may be issued your permit that conflicts with a noise rule or ordinance in an area if your film permit meets all of the other requirements, and loud noise is essential to filming. Your permit will state when and where you are allowed to exceed any noise ordinance, however this is the only rule your permit will allow you to break! For the full rules on noise disturbance continue to Surfside's Code of Ordinance, section 54-78. - Prohibited noises.

Don’t forget to keep your film permit on you on site at all times! Without having a permit to film, you may be charged, and if the production is dangerous or you refuse to stop filming – you may be arrested and even sometimes banned from filming for a year! However chances are your production will not reach that point, especially if you get your film permit!

The Town Manager may also put a hold on any production, or a moratorium on film permits, in certain neighborhoods and areas of Surfside. This is only for when a location has been overused for production and residents or the property owners need a break. This moratorium has a maximum length of 6 months, but can be reinstated after another 6 months break.

At the end of the day, the Town Manager will have final say to make sure Surfside is safe!

For additional information… follow this link to their full site!
As well, you can call (305) 861-4863 and ask for Alan Graham in the Special Events department!
9293 Harding Avenue,
Surfside, FL 33154


[{ $ctrl.ErrorAlertService.error }]